By Roger Hazard
The Modern Farmhouse's living room, sunken a foot from the dining room, is filled with light through the huge windows facing West. The cool, concrete floors and high ceilings create a sense of spaciousness, and the rear door leads out to the covered patio and landscaped backyard.
- Internet TV, chosen because most TV sets are incredibly ugly (Sony)
- Zeppelin stereo (Bowers & Wilkins)
- Pro-Ject Debut III turntable in white (Needle Doctor)
- Georgian doorknob in aged bronze (Schlage)
- Polished concrete flooring
- Board-and-batten effect created with strips of wood lattice
- Sherwin-Williams "Hinting Blue" above board-and-batten
- Gallery white on board-and-batten
- Gallery white on trim
- Corona sofa (Macy's)
- Eames fiberglass shell rocking chair in limited-edition "elephant" with walnut rocking base (Modernica)
- Besta console table / storage unit behind sofa (IKEA)
- Glass and wood coffee table (Blu Dot)
- Amazing rough cowhide chair (found at The Upholstery Shop in Austin)
- Weathered wood console table - originally a tall farm table; legs cut down (Austin Antique Mall)
- Wood milking stools (found on a farm in Iowa)
- Besta white laminate cabinet housing DVR and DVD player (IKEA)
- Mid-century teak lamps (Austin Antique Mall)
- Brass picture light (Ethan Allen)
- Carefully hidden uplights on timers
- Can lights with spot bulbs on dimmer
- Textiles & Window Treatments
- Assorted throw pillows (Pottery Barn, Anthropologie)
- Surplus Army blanket (Banana Bay Trading Company)
- Striped area rug (Dash & Albert)
- 2" wood blinds with white fabric tape (3 Day Blinds)
- Blue gingham drapery fabric (IKEA)
- Wood drapery pole, supports, ring clips (The Home Depot)
- Artwork & Accessories
- DUNES vintage metal sign (Austin Antique Mall)
- Vintage B.S.A. marching band drum (Austin Antique Mall)
- "The Serious Man" portrait (junk shop)
- Metal airplane toy (flea market in Hot Springs, AR)
- Cowboy clock (gift from Chris' brother Darian)
- Streetlight light bulb mounted in wood block (gift from Chris' brother Darian)
- Original cowboy/bear/girl/strongman illustration (gift from Chris' brother Darian - who clearly has great taste)
- Cambodian Buddha bust (Target)
- Rusty wheel (Austin Antique Mall)
- Orange and blue ceramic balls (Shoal Creek Nursery)
If you are interested in discussing a similar transformation to your own home, contact us for a consultation.
Hot right now on Roger + Chris
There are quite a few things to consider when picking the perfect Chesterfield. Here are some tips that will give you a head start.
A cute, 160-year old Italianate Victorian had the potential to be a stunning garden house - but only after taming the garden, adding style to the porches, and applying some unexpected new colors.
We completely redesigned the interior and exterior of our modern home in Austin, Texas. Come take a look inside.
Tour Roger and Chris' front yard.
Looking for a way to add whimsy, style, and functionality to a small bathroom? Skip the generic toilet paper holder.
Tour Roger and Chris' guest bedroom.