Between late-2010 and mid-2011, we completely redesigned the interior and exterior of our modern home in Austin, Texas. Part of a neighborhood of modern, green homes, our house already featured amazing light pouring in through 24 huge commercial-grade windows, a clever layout that maximized functionality and sense of space, and simple modern finishes like concrete, bamboo, steel, quartz.
Our goal was to bring the feel of the exterior of the home - which, with its pure lines and rustic details, was evocative of an old farmhouse - to the interior. With unadorned sheetrock and builder-grade paint, the house lacked the detail that could make it truly memorable. So we added a board-and-batten effect to most of the rooms using inexpensive lattice, plywood paneling in the office, paint to almost every wall, and dozens of little details. We used rustic furniture, industrial accents, paint, textiles, and accessories to capture a feel somewhere between Austin and upstate New York. We painted the staircase bright white and wrapped the steps in jute, painted the cabinetry and replaced the hardware, and planted hundreds of trees, perennials, cacti, and flowering vines in the yard.
We invite you to take a tour of the house. If you are interested in discussing a similar transformation to your own home, contact us for a consultation.
Room-By-Room Photo Tour:
Take a tour of each room of the Modern Farmhouse, complete with stories and sources for many of the pieces of furniture and art.
To begin, you might want to take a quick look at the house before we renovated.
Projects & Tips:
- Going Into Your Closet Should Be As Easy As Coming Out Of One · Everyone complains about a lack of closet space, mostly because we humans are like goldfish - we grow to the size of our container.
- Repurposing a Supply Cabinet · We turned a bent and rusty metal shelving unit into a great master bedroom feature.
- How Paint Turned a Forgotten Piano into a Showpiece · How the heck do you paint something like a piano?
- Adding Character to Sheetrock with Wood Paneling · One of the most striking changes we made during the Modern Farmhouse renovation was to the walls.
- Creating Stable Doors for Style and Function · We altered doors to allow in light, air, and the cat, and to keep the dog out.
- Creating a Lamp with a Tripod · We turned a beautiful antique tripod from Roger's production company into a unique lamp.
- Recovering a Piano Stool with a Bath Mat · We wanted to add substance and texture to this wire piano stool, so we recovered it using a chenille bath mat.
- Dressing Up Mirrors with Frames · Lauri wants to know how to bring interest to a boring bathroom mirror by adding a custom frame.
- Upgrading the Shower Caddy · Quinn doesn't like the hanging shower caddy used to store shampoo bottles. Roger has just the solution.
- Proper Ring Clip Spacing · Scott is using ring clips to hang a curtain panel, and needs to know the proper spacing.
We partnered with a number of companies on this project. Here are some of the vendors and contractors with whom we worked. Note: Detailed source lists are included in each room tour.
- California Closets · We transformed our closets with functional and stylish organization hardware.
- CetraPro Painters · Roger's partner for years on Sell This House, CertaPro Austin painted all of the walls, ceilings, our stairway, our cabinetry, our piano, and even our the ceiling and floor of our carport.
- Floor Coverings International · Our open stairway was made safer for pets and people alike by wrapping each step in natural jute runners.
- 3 Day Blinds · We used white 2-inch wood blinds with fabric tape throughout the house.
- 5G Contracting · 5G performed the carpentry work, adding the board-and-batten treatment to the walls, creating the stable and barn doors, and building the front yard fence.
- Barn Light Electric · The rustic fixtures in our master and guest bathrooms were built by this provider of vintage-style lighting.
Read more about the partners for the Modern Farmhouse project.
If you are interested in discussing a similar transformation to your own home, contact us for a consultation.
Hot right now on Roger + Chris
Velvet fabric can be a bit trickier to clean than other fabrics because, in addition to removing the stain, you must take care to avoid "crushing" the nap of the fiber. Here are some tips to help you successfully remove stains without damaging your beautiful furniture.
The Chesterfield sofa - one of the oldest and most desireable sofa styles - is seeing a very well-deserved resurgence in popularity. As "the king of sofas," the Chesterfield bring a huge amount of style and comfort to any home or business. Available as a sofa, sectional, armchair, or chaise, there are quite a few things to consider when picking the perfect one. Here are 10 tips that will give you a big head start on the search for your dream Chesterfield.
We're moving to a historic village in upstate New York to renovate an Italianate Victorian house.
What do you think? Share your thoughts below!
Whether you're trying to expand your precious outdoor living space, block unsightly neighboring yards, or enhance security for your family, here are three methods for boosting front yard privacy.
Join us on a tour of our front yard garden in Austin, Texas.
Here's a brief sampling of the array of colors popping up in our garden and the yards of our neighbors here in Austin, Texas.
A brief video shot on a sunny afternoon in our home here in Austin. The dog and the cat weren't interested in having their naps interrupted.
Interview with Roger and Chris, and house tour.
We were interviewed for an article about our home in shelter magazine Locale.
Looking for a way to add whimsy, style, and functionality to a small bathroom? Skip the generic toilet paper holder.
Chris and I have had quite a year, but we think NEXT year is going to be even more incredible!
Tour Roger and Chris' open stairway.
Tour Roger and Chris' kitchen and dining room.
Tour Roger and Chris' front yard.
Tour Roger and Chris' back yard.
We wanted to add substance and texture to this wire piano stool, so we recovered it using a chenille bath mat.
One of the most striking changes we made during the Modern Farmhouse renovation was to the walls.
We altered doors to allow in light, air, and the cat, and to keep the dog out.
Tour Roger and Chris' powder room.
Tour Roger and Chris' master bedroom.
Tour Roger and Chris' master bathroom.
Tour Roger and Chris' home office.
Tour Roger and Chris' guest bedroom.
Tour Roger and Chris' guest bathroom.
We turned a beautiful antique tripod from Roger's production company into a unique lamp.
Tour Roger and Chris' living room.
We turned a bent and rusty metal shelving unit into a great master bedroom feature.
Everyone complains about a lack of closet space, mostly because we humans are like goldfish - we grow to the size of our container.
The most common color question I am asked: "Do dark colors make rooms look smaller?"
How the heck do you paint something like a piano?
Lauri wants to know how to bring interest to a boring bathroom mirror by adding a custom frame.
Quinn doesn't like the hanging shower caddy used to store shampoo bottles. Roger has just the solution.
Scott is using ring clips to hang a curtain panel, and needs to know the proper spacing.
The following companies participated in my latest home redesign project.
A profile on my move to Austin, Texas and my latest residential project.