By Roger Hazard
The Modern Farmhouse's office is accessed via two large sliding barn doors, opening this room up to plentiful morning and afternoon light. We added floor to ceiling rough plywood paneling to the walls, a bold plaid area rug to the floor, and packed the room with workspaces, books, and artwork.
- Aubrey pulls in oil-rubbed bronze (Restoration Hardware)
- Georgian doorknob in aged bronze (Schlage)
- Carbonized bamboo flooring
- Sliding doors with wood, paint, and pulls applied to resemble barn doors
- ¼" plywood applied over sheetrock walls with ¼" reveal
- Gallery white on walls
- Gallery white on trim
- Vintage lab desk (found for $7 at the city dump)
- Eames white fiberglass shell chair (Modernica.net)
- Eames taupe shell chair with dowel base (Herman Miller)
- Modern desk and cabinet (IKEA)
- Studio office chair (CB2)
- Vintage Eames LCW chair (Room Omaha)
- Billy bookcase (IKEA)
- Closet shelving for document and equipment storage in white laminate. (California Closets)
- Rook lamp (BluDot.com)
- Vintage red Japanese desk lamp (junk shop)
- Can lights with spot bulbs on dimmer
- Textiles & Window Treatments
- Plaid area rug (Pottery Barn)
- 2" wood blinds with white fabric tape (3 Day Blinds)
- Red gingham drapery fabric (IKEA)
- Wood drapery pole, supports, ring clips (The Home Depot)
- Artwork & Accessories
- WPA-era Lindsay mural (Housing Works auction, NYC)
- Chris' childhood collection of Hot Wheels (doled out one at a time as bribery by Chris' parents for his good behavior)
- Assorted vintage ad reprints (Plan59.com)
- Frank Black concert poster (PosterScene.com)
- Amazing three-dimensional Beethoven needlepoint (UncommonObjects.com)
- "Beef" print by Chris Sherron (chrissherron.net)
- Gold Marilyn Monroe print by Andy Warhol (MoMA)
- Geiger counter that may or may not still work (vintage shop in Austin)
- Somewhat disturbing native American-themed pencil holder (enormous flea market in Hot Springs, AR)
- Eames Hang-It-All holding Roger's hats (DWR)
- Bones of hand suspended in Lucite - Educational model? Real bones? These questions remain unanswered. (Austin Antique Mall)
- Galvanized metal trash can spray-painted white (RustOleum)
If you are interested in discussing a similar transformation to your own home, contact us for a consultation.
Hot right now on Roger + Chris
We completely redesigned the interior and exterior of our modern home in Austin, Texas. Come take a look inside.
We're moving to a historic village in upstate New York to renovate an Italianate Victorian house.
We turned a rough, boring bedroom in the Grey House into an unforgettable space for our guests.
What do you think? Share your thoughts below!
Looking for a way to add whimsy, style, and functionality to a small bathroom? Skip the generic toilet paper holder.
We turned a beautiful antique tripod from Roger's production company into a unique lamp.
Tour Roger and Chris' back yard.