By Roger Hazard
The Modern Farmhouse's office is accessed via two large sliding barn doors, opening this room up to plentiful morning and afternoon light. We added floor to ceiling rough plywood paneling to the walls, a bold plaid area rug to the floor, and packed the room with workspaces, books, and artwork.
- Aubrey pulls in oil-rubbed bronze (Restoration Hardware)
- Georgian doorknob in aged bronze (Schlage)
- Carbonized bamboo flooring
- Sliding doors with wood, paint, and pulls applied to resemble barn doors
- ¼" plywood applied over sheetrock walls with ¼" reveal
- Gallery white on walls
- Gallery white on trim
- Vintage lab desk (found for $7 at the city dump)
- Eames white fiberglass shell chair (Modernica.net)
- Eames taupe shell chair with dowel base (Herman Miller)
- Modern desk and cabinet (IKEA)
- Studio office chair (CB2)
- Vintage Eames LCW chair (Room Omaha)
- Billy bookcase (IKEA)
- Closet shelving for document and equipment storage in white laminate. (California Closets)
- Rook lamp (BluDot.com)
- Vintage red Japanese desk lamp (junk shop)
- Can lights with spot bulbs on dimmer
- Textiles & Window Treatments
- Plaid area rug (Pottery Barn)
- 2" wood blinds with white fabric tape (3 Day Blinds)
- Red gingham drapery fabric (IKEA)
- Wood drapery pole, supports, ring clips (The Home Depot)
- Artwork & Accessories
- WPA-era Lindsay mural (Housing Works auction, NYC)
- Chris' childhood collection of Hot Wheels (doled out one at a time as bribery by Chris' parents for his good behavior)
- Assorted vintage ad reprints (Plan59.com)
- Frank Black concert poster (PosterScene.com)
- Amazing three-dimensional Beethoven needlepoint (UncommonObjects.com)
- "Beef" print by Chris Sherron (chrissherron.net)
- Gold Marilyn Monroe print by Andy Warhol (MoMA)
- Geiger counter that may or may not still work (vintage shop in Austin)
- Somewhat disturbing native American-themed pencil holder (enormous flea market in Hot Springs, AR)
- Eames Hang-It-All holding Roger's hats (DWR)
- Bones of hand suspended in Lucite - Educational model? Real bones? These questions remain unanswered. (Austin Antique Mall)
- Galvanized metal trash can spray-painted white (RustOleum)
If you are interested in discussing a similar transformation to your own home, contact us for a consultation.
Hot right now on Roger + Chris
They said it was impossible to build affordable wood furniture in the USA. They were wrong.
With most luxury furniture companies, only a fraction of each dollar you spend is actually used to build your sofa. Let's look at just a few of the other things you're paying for when you shop with big retailers.
We turned a rough, boring bedroom in the Grey House into an unforgettable space for our guests.
What do you think? Share your thoughts below!
A brief video shot on a sunny afternoon in our home here in Austin. The dog and the cat weren't interested in having their naps interrupted.
Tour Roger and Chris' front yard.
We were interviewed for an article about our home in shelter magazine Locale.